Sunday, July 8, 2012

Beginning of the End

It's been a long week to kick off my last year of residency.  Actually, July 1st, the start of the calendar year for residency, came without much fanfare.  The significance of the date only dawned on me when I went to see who could trade a call with me, and I realized that Zach and Luris were done.  They aren't the upper-level residents anymore.  I am.  The shock and awe of that moment lasted about 1 minute.  I had too many things to do this week than freak out about how close I am to being done.

For most people this past week was a short, holiday week.  Mine was intended to be even shorter as I took the 4th and 5th off for the holiday and for Griffin's birthday.  Instead my week included two all night labors with 5-am deliveries, going to the hospital to round on my "vacation" days, and sending a clinic patient who had an appointment to "establish care" to the hospital for a heart attack.  And that was just work stuff.

After all, this week was the 4th of July and that deserves some celebrating.  On the 3rd we went to a friend's house for their annual shin-dig.  Boy, do the Foley's know how to put on a party!  The 4th was pretty laid back, and the 5th was G's birthday.  We spent most of those days relaxing and planning for Griffin's big party on Saturday.  That, too, was another fun celebration.


So, it was an eventful, busy, and fun week, and I think I slept about an hour a night.  Literally.  Let's hope I get some more sleep the rest of the weeks of this year, or it's going to be a doozy!

1 comment:

  1. hooray! If this last year goes by as fast as the previous ones you'll be starting up another blog in a blink :)

    ReplyDelete