Wednesday, October 24, 2012

In-Service Exam

Today was the dreaded day of the annual in-service training exam.  The dreary, kind of rainy, kind of cold day was a perfect match. This exam is one that all residents have to take every year to prove that they are still learning something.  At least I think that's the point.  We aren't really graded per se, but we are compared to each other and fellow residents across the country.
 
Frankly, I don't find it all that valuable.  No one really studies for it (unless, of course, you consider going to work every day "studying"), and it doesn't really motivate me to learn any more on my monthly rotations.  I'd rather learn things that I'm going to use seeing real patients instead of learning the answer to question #225 of my exam.
 
So I just go, stare at a computer, click for a few hours, then go home and complain about it.  In a few weeks I'll spend about 4 minutes looking at my results, and that will be it.  I won't think about it again.  Probably, never again thankfully.
 
Now, that doesn't mean I'm done taking tests.  No, far from it.  Family Medicine Boards are fast approaching in April, and after today I'm already dreading another long test.  And that one actually means something.

No comments:

Post a Comment