Monday, October 1, 2012

New Month = New Rotation = New West

After last month's joke of a rotation, October means getting back to business.
 
September's rotation was called "Practice Management" and was filled with semi-useful lectures on the business of medicine.  How to find a job.  How to negotiate contracts.  How to start your own practice.  How to deal with insurance companies.  How to stay confused on health policy.  Each lecture was semi-helpful (less helpful since I've already signed a contract), but the month as a whole was almost so relaxed it was boring.  As much as I love getting home at noon or 3:30 on the "long" lecture days, I was starting to get antsy to get back to "real" work.  You know it's bad when I was excited to go in at 3AM this weekend for a pregnant patient of mine.
 
That change of pace was nice for a little while, but I'm excited that now it's October.  I woke up to rain this morning so you know it's going to be a good month.  This rotation is "Sports Medicine," and I'm going to be spending it in Kearney Nebraska with the Orthopedic group there at New West Sports Medicine.  It's the middle of football season so hopefully there will be a good crop of injured athletes.  Former residents have had a lot of good things to say about the staff there, so I'm really anticipating a great month.
 
Now, it is in Kearney, which means a little longer commute than I'm used to.  Mapquest said it will take 1hr and 1min. - if I obey the speed limit, which, of course, I will.  That's a lot of windshield time.  I'm looking for a few good audio books to help pass the time instead of leaving me to my crazy thoughts.  I'm open to book suggestions, and I'll keep you posted on all of the torn ACLs and concussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment