Thursday, November 8, 2012

A House Divided...

NO!  Susan and I are not splitting up...Abraham Lincoln gets the credit for those famous words, but it's actually Scripture from Mark 3:25 and it was Jesus who spoke those words.  I decided to raid Susan's blog because of something that has been weighing on my mind for a few days.   
I find it unreal that in the most advanced civilization ever created:

- 46 million people are on food stamps (Source: CNBC, June 2012)
- ER waiting rooms get bogged down by people without real emergencies who likely won't foot the bill and impeding the efforts of doctors and nurses trained to provide vital care to sick and dying patients (Source: numerous conversations with medical professionals who work in these places),
- 3.8% of California's population on government welfare (Source: AP, June 2012),
- Nearly 8% unemployment (Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics), and
- $16 trillion in debt yet the problem is not one election or one candidate (Source: debtclock.org). 

The problem is what we accept in our culture.  Think about it, 50 years ago,  Kennedy (Dem.) said, "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country."   I don't even necessarily like Kennedy but his words weren't divisive, just the opposite, and he surely didn't say "Ask what your government can give you..." or this is what I "promise the government will provide...".  I would say the party motto has changed.  (Side note: I am an Independent, largely because when George Washington left office he warned people about the newly forming political parties and the dangers they would create, questioning if we really wanted the future to be a divided nation.  Plus, I want the freedom to choose people who align closest with my beliefs).  When was the last time you heard one party speak highly of the other?  Are we united now that the election is over?  I did read some gloating comments and some no-so-happy comments Tuesday night so I am going on a limb and guessing we're divided. 

After working in schools for a few years I can tell you the Kennedy quote is not the mindset of our current generation.  It's not even the mindset of my own generation, sadly.  I am not even sure it's the mindset of the many from the generation before me.  There are certainly plenty of kids who have ambition, goals, and love being an American citizen but far too many of our American children and adults believe the government is here to provide for us - that it's the answer for jobs, bailing out bad decisions, and the economy.  That's FALSE - its us, it is our job to fix these problems. 

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.  - Thomas Jefferson


Now, I know sometimes kids say things without thinking and don't fully understand how our government works.  Every year, when I read "promote the general welfare" out of the Constitution I inevitably have to explain to every class period this does not mean the check some of their families receive but that government is supposed to assure the general well being of all people (not support or finance them).  That's not a joke either - I get asked every time we cover it - every class period, every year.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
- Thomas Jefferson

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson
 Part of the reason, I wanted to be a teacher was to help kids realize the American dream does exist but its about personal responsibility, gaining the ability to formulate your own opinions and being educated rather than ignorant.  Unfortunately, this dream that made our country great seems to be slipping away with each spending stimulus that adds billions to the debt, the mandates that take away personal freedoms, and that if you build wealth it will be taxed at high rates because you are an evil, rich person (punishing those who succeed).  Oddly enough, many of the same kids who shouted "Obama" in the halls on Tuesday and Wednesday have aspirations to be rich. 

I spend a lot of time thinking about the different shifts in American culture, ideals, and morals over the decades.  I may not be an "expert" but I get consumed with studying our country and how/why we achieved our freedom, the concerns of the Founders, the complexities of the Civil War, how Americans survived the worst period of poverty during the 1930s, and everything else in between.  Ask Susan - she'll likely say I am a "history nerd", which is true, so I ask:  How did we get here?  Why are we so divided?  Who do millions believe they are entitled to things they have not earned nor deserve?  When did it begin? 






Three things I have learned in the past year that gives me some comfort this political and financial mess could eventually be fixed in time:

1) We need to take control and responsibility of our personal lives - faith, family, finances.
2) Men need to be men, be there for our families and role model to them with real, Biblical values because let's not kid ourselves: politicians, athletes, video games, and MTV aren't getting the job done.  For many years, when parents were parents, schools were reinforcing what was being taught at home.  Now it feels reversed and we're hoping it's reciprocated in the home. 
3) Prayer - regardless of beliefs, opinions, views, and general dislike of others - we need to pray for our leaders, families, country, and its very flawed government.  People will fail us and so will governments but when we have full faith and trust in the Lord, He will not. 

Susan - I promise I will never take over your blog for a political rant again.  Besides, your blogs are much better than mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment