Thursday, November 1, 2012

Ruined Halloween

"And be sure to tell your patient that she ruined Halloween," Jason said.  

That was when I got the page at 7PM Halloween night in the middle of our trick-or-treating that I was needed at the hospital for my laboring patient whose baby was now not looking so good on the monitors.  Of course by the time I threw/dropped/gently-placed Griffin in the wagon, ran (literally, ran) the three blocks back to my mom's to get the car, drove to the hospital, and hoofed it up the stairs to the 2nd floor Labor & Delivery, the baby's heart tones looked much better.  Sigh.  Still, she was ready to push, so we pushed.  I mean she pushed.  And pushed and pushed.  After 3 hours we had all had enough so we called in back up.  To make a very long story short she finally had the baby along with a rather large tear.  I finally made it back to my bed well after November had begun.  That's the life of a doc, I guess.

And, obviously, Halloween wasn't ruined.  I had already had plenty of trick-or-treating, and Griffin had reached the end of tolerating it several houses before that.  The fun part of Halloween for me is picking out their costumes, then getting them ready and seeing them all decked out, and of course eating all of their good candy.


Owen was "Dr. Owen" and he was sure to tell everyone that fact.

Griffin was the patient, and this is the only time he was happy in the ambulance.  He is 1 now, so he thought he totally needed to walk like everyone else.

The ambulance, complete with sirens, was the talk of the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment