Sunday, January 27, 2013

Oh, My Purse

If you know me, then you probably also know the big red bag that is always by my side. As a woman, as a mom, and as a physician, there are always things I need. In the past I carried a cute little purse, a diaper bag, and a white lab coat (and add a breast pump when I was breastfeeding).  That wasn't very efficient or practical.  Honestly, it was down right terrible to go anywhere.  Therefore, it was huge blessing when I found a big cute bag to consolidate my stuff.

As I dug through my purse this morning looking for my keys I was caught off guard with all of the things that I "need" in there. Here's what I found today in the abyss I call a purse.


  • Keys. Yes, thankfully, they were in there.
  • Cell phone. Actually, it is rarely in there, and when it ends up in my purse I can never find it fast enough to answer it. If you call, and I don't answer, it's probably because my phone is vibrating in the bottom of my purse.
  • Pager. Unfortunately, it's usually in there even when I'm not technically on call.
  • Diapers and wipes. What good mom wouldn't be prepared for accidents? Occasionally, I have extra clothes in there, too.
  • Ketchup packet. Who knows what problems you could solve with ketchup when you have two boys who love to eat.
  • Family Medicine Board Review book. Yes, it is the size of a text book.  I also always carry a pocket OB book, my Harriet Lane (a pediatric pocket textbook), and a little notebook that I call "my peripheral brain" that keeps notes of medical things I can never seem to remember. I actually use these often.
  • Gloves. Yeah, it's January in Nebraska and these are a necessity.
  • Stethoscope. Most mom's probably don't carry this, but I rarely leave home without it.
  • Gum. A.K.A. emergency tooth brush.
  • Hot Wheels car. It's small, quiet, and may keep my boys entertained for a few minutes. I should probably keep two in there to avoid battles.
  • Wallet. Hopefully, it's in there.
  • Cash. After taking Dave Ramsey's class, we use cash for our everyday expenditures, and because I never know when I'll have a free 20 minutes to run to the store I usually have some on hand.
  • Pens. Honestly, there are probably 20 buried in there.
  • Hair brush, compact, and "feminine hygiene products." I could probably pare this down some considering my current pregnant state, but you also never know when you'll need to help out a friend (or concoct a diaper).
  • Pictures of my kids. Never mind that Owen's photo is two years old, and Griffin's is at least one. I'd feel like a bad mother if I didn't have anything.
  • An assortment of bracelets, bangles, rings, and necklaces. These are things that I thought looked cute when I left the house but then decided weren't so cute after all or weren't so practical for what the day had in store. There would probably be shoes in there, too, if they'd fit.
  • Laptop & charger.  I don't always carry this around because it puts the bag's weight a little over the top; but it is in there most work days.
  • Candy - suckers & fruit snacks at the moment. Another mom essential.
  • Hospital I.D.'s. One for St. Francis (so I can get in after hours), one for Mary Lanning (where I worked last month), and I used to carry one for UNMC and Offutt Airforce base. Offutt hunted me down to get that one back, and a few weekends ago I realized maybe I should still carry one for UNMC because of the discounts when we are back in Omaha.
Amazingly, when I organize it just right it all fits, but this bag has clearly been put to the test. The rips and tears are getting bigger, and it is a matter of time before I hang it up for good. I've started the search for a new one, but the replacement has big shoes to fill - literally! 

No comments:

Post a Comment