Saturday, August 31, 2013

"The" House, Take 2


You've been waiting for the story, the photos, and all the details.  Well...

It's official.  We bought a house!

We've been here a week, and we love it.

They say home buyers make up their mind about whether or not they like a house within the first seven seconds.  In our case, I think it was even less.

Our realtor sent us the listing as soon as it came on the market with a note that it had the bedrooms and the space we were looking for.  Intriguing.  There weren't any photos yet, so, of course, I looked it up on the county assessor website.  Appealing.  Next, I mapquest-ed it.  Interesting.  Naturally, the next step was the drive by.  Not disappointing.  A long two weeks later there was an "open house" sign in the front yard.  Finally!

Conveniently, Jason was out of town for the week at CIY, but I went anyway.  As I stepped into the entry way I could almost hear an audible voice say, "This is your house."  Confident, and slightly annoyed that there were other people in the hall, I toured the rest of the house as if someone had already handed me the keys.

The finishes weren't impressive.  The brass, light oak, and mauve floral carpet weren't my taste.  Still, it had everything on the list.  Size, location, potential, and price.  Everything.  Even the laundry chute!

Sure that Jason would love it too, and afraid of letting it get away, I signed the offer before my husband had even been inside.  To complicate things, communicating with him in the middle of Missouri that week was sketchy at best.  I sent him a text hoping he would get it sometime that day:

I bought you a snowblower today... hope you like it.

He responded: Lol... seriously?

Totally!  It's awesome.  Can I call?

We actually did buy a snowblower, and a riding lawn mower, too, but it also came with a house.  "The" house.  Without a doubt, a few days later he loved it, too.  Inspections, closing, and moving all went smoothly, and here I am typing this in my new house.

Love it!  Worth it!

*     *     *

Okay, okay.  Cut to the chase.  After all of that build up I know you really just want the tour, so I took a few more pictures of my favorite things to share with you.

I've never had a view of the backyard from a kitchen window before.  I wouldn't give it up now, and it's even better that I can't see a neighbor (or that they can't see me).
The kitchen island came with three stools for three little boys.  You may also notice a few small things in the background that we were missing at our old house called a stove and a dishwasher.  And they work, too!  What you don't see is the upright deep freeze that is perfect for my monthly meals.

The open floor plan complete with a fireplace and dining space big enough for our table.

I can't wait to decorate the stairwell for Christmas.
The former formal (try saying that ten times fast) dining room now soon to be an office behind the kitchen.  
Future man cave.
We've never had soft water before.  What a treat!
Storage and more storage, and each boy has his own room.  They also have a bathroom just for the three of them, so now neither we nor our guests have to move the little potty to use the big one. 
TV nook (that won't stay) in the master bedroom.  Also, don't miss the hand-painted ivy around the windows (that also won't be staying).

Owen has already shot a few baskets.

View of the boys' future elementary school across the field from the back deck.
The boys already breaking in the perfect spot for a baseball field in the unfenced part of the lot.  It also, conveniently, contains a bike trail that goes to the elementary school, church, middle school, and grandma's house.

It's not without a few updates, for sure.  Taking down these things from the front porch was project #1.  It feels more like our house already.

1 comment: