Wednesday, September 11, 2013

MOM.D. Lesson #3

I've learned that patients will always wake me up in the middle of the night.

Last night was my last night of resident call.  Unfortunately, it wasn't the last time a patient will wake me up in the middle of the night.

I think it's fitting that my last outpatient clinic call was from someone requesting pain medications - which, of course, they didn't get, and which, of course, resulted in some not so nice comments before they hung up.

It's also probably fitting that for my last inpatient admission I couldn't even get a history from the patient because they were so intoxicated.

Yes, I will be taking call at my next job, but with a smaller group of doctors, and with patients of my own who I can coach on when it is appropriate to call, it will hopefully be a little less busy.

As much not fun as it is to wake up to that beep, it's a compromise I'm willing to make.  For now.

*     *     *

I've learned that my children will always wake me up in the middle of the night.

Even on nights that I'm not on call, it is pretty rare to get a "good night's sleep."  All of you other parents (or dog owners) know what I'm talking about.  Someone is constantly crying, thirsty, restless, scared, or angry.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is something they are going to outgrow anytime soon.  Just the thought of three teenage boys all driving at once is enough to keep me awake already.

No comments:

Post a Comment